Subject: To NFPTs/For information: upcoming invitation to designate participant(s) for ECDC Summer School (6-8 May 2025, Rome, Italy)
From: "ECDC Courses" <[email-masked]>
To: "Reich Andreas" <[email-masked]>, "Javiera Rebolledo" <[email-masked]>, "vanya.rangelova" <[email-masked]>, "natasa.antoljak" <[email-masked]>, "Despo Constantinou" <[email-masked]>,Hana Orlíková <[email-masked]>, "Steen Ethelberg" <[email-masked]>,Kärt Sõber <[email-masked]>, "Lotta Siira" <[email-masked]>, "Elisabeth DELAROCQUE-ASTAGNEAU" <[email-masked]>, "AlpersK" <[email-masked]>, "Lida Politi" <[email-masked]>,Dr. Galgóczi Ágnes <
Cc: "NC_CCB_Austria" <[email-masked]>, "sigrid.kiermayr" <[email-masked]>, "koen.blot" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, "Zhivka Getsova" <[email-masked]>, "Iva Christova" <[email-masked]>, "kcapak" <[email-masked]>, "bernard.kaic" <[email-masked]>, "Elisavet Constantinou" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>,Hana Orlíková <[email-masked]>,Kamilla Grønborg Laut <[email-masked]>, "Stine Ulendorf Jacobsen" <[email-masked]>,Kärt Sõber <[email-masked]>, "Julia Geller" <[email-masked]>, <
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2025 18:09:33 +0200

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on väljastpoolt asutust saabunud kirjaga. Tundmatu 
saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

To: National Focal Points for Public Health Training (Members and 
Alternates)

CC: National Coordinators (Members and Alternates)

CC: Vicky Lefevre, Head of Unit Public Health Functions, ECDC

CC: Adam Roth, Head of Section Public Health Training, ECDC

CC: Jeanine Pommier, Group Leader Continuous Professional Development, ECDC

CC: [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>

Ref.: CS0005045

Dear Colleagues,

ECDC is planning to organise this year’s Summer School on the topic of 
“Introduction to mathematical modelling for assessing and anticipating 
threats in public health”. The course will be delivered in person in English 
on 6-8 May 2025 in Rome, Italy at the premises of Istituto Superiore di 
Sanità.

This email is sent only for information purposes about the upcoming training 
activity.  No action is required at this stage from your side.

At the beginning of next week National Focal Points for Public Health 
Training – Members will receive an individual email from 
‘ECDCEventNominations-noreply’ with the link to nominate participant(s) from 
each country and instructions on the nomination process.

Please find below more specific information about the training.

Overall aim

The overall aim of the course is to introduce the usage of mathematical 
modelling for assessing and anticipating threats in public health.

Learning objectives

The objectives of the course on mathematical modelling are to provide public 
health practitioners, that are not modellers, with knowledge to understand 
key concepts of mathematical modelling, the types of questions modelling can 
help decision makers with, general limitations of models (data, 
uncertainties, assumptions, etc.), and how to interpret and clearly 
communicate, in a non-scientific way, modelling results from publications 
and reports.

Mathematical modelling provides valuable tools for assessing and 
anticipating threats in public health and help public health decision making 
under uncertainty. Participants will learn key components and modelling 
concepts of infectious disease transmission and control, analyse an ECDC 
modelling output to interpret its modelling findings, and discuss how 
modelling informs policy making.

   

Target audience

This Summer School has been designed for public health practitioners 
interested in understanding, interpreting and utilising results and outputs 
of quantitative approaches from mathematical modelling to guide public 
health decision making.

The training is most useful for public health decision makers involved in 
planning of interventions and resource allocation, who interact with 
modelling outcomes and may benefit from understanding different quantitative 
methods for assessing the impact of interventions. Both specialists and 
generalists can benefit from the training.

Note that this training is not aimed for experts in mathematical modelling, 
and it does not aim to train modellers. As a step towards strengthening the 
capacity of countries, participants attending this course commit to 
cascading in their professional settings the knowledge gained during the 
course.

If you have any questions, please contact [email-masked].

 

Kind regards,

Vicky Lefevre

Head of Unit Public Health Functions

European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC)Gustav III:s boulevard 40, 169 73 Solna, Sweden

Phone +46 (0)8 58 60 10 00

 <https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/> www.ecdc.europa.eu

Follow ECDC on:

 <http://www.facebook.com/ECDC.EU>

 <http://twitter.com/ecdc_eu>

 <http://www.linkedin.com/company/ecdc>

 <http://www.youtube.com/user/ECDCchannel>

Confidentiality Notice
If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby kindly 
requested, to, consecutively, refrain from disclosing its content to any 
third party, delete it and inform its sender of the erroneous transmittal.

Classified as ECDC NORMAL